Re: A survey of boot process in Debian on i386 with Legacy BIOS

On 09/23/2017 05:02 PM, Lee Fisher wrote:

On 09/23/2017 09:19 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I want a very custom installer. I'm looking for something
that takes a broad view of the boot process. [...]

I don't know of any x86/BIOS/Debian-centric doc that meets your needs.
Here are some related docs (includes EFI/UEFI not just BIOS, some of
these are still useful for BIOS boot background). HTH

Four of the references will do nicely to update my 1970's preconceptions - think paper tape and PDP11's prior to introduction of the RX01/RX02 8" floppy systems and later exposure to an 8085 based embedded system {8085 being state of the art ;} .

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linuxboot/
   Inside the Linux boot process -- a guided tour from the MBR
   to 1st user-space application
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_startup_process
   The multi-stage initialization process performed during booting
   a Linux installation.
http://wiki.osdev.org/System_Initialization_%28x86%29
   System Initialization (x86) -- the traditional BIOS-based system
   initialization process.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_boot_process
   To boot Linux, a boot loader must be installed. The boot loader
   being responsible for loading the kernel and initial ramdisk before
   initiating the boot process.