Re: Beginner question - stable installer build fails - why?

Alex King <alex@king.net.nz> (2018-01-28):
> I wanted to build a net installer that would load stable (actually jessie
> but I'll start with stable) but using a recent kernel.
>
> Firstly I went to https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller#Development and
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/CheckOut
>
> I checked out the dev version using Anonymous checkout instructions and was
> reading... "If you just want to build bootable images, see
> d-i/installer/build/README"
>
> So I was reading that README and realised that I probably wanted to build
> from stable not the development version, so I followed the instructions in
> there starting with "apt-get source debian-installer", the rest you can see
> in my original message.
>
> Now that I see Cyril's message it makes sense to use dpkg-buildpackage.  I
> don't build debian packages every day so I am not really familiar with all
> the normal tools/workflow of a debian developer.
>
> Now I am reading https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build, which my
> browser tells me I read before (maybe a while ago.)  I see that has the
> advice to use dpkg-buildpackage.
>
> Probably a note about dpkg-buildpackage and/or debian/rules could go in
> build/README?

dpkg-buildpackage and debian/rules are the standard interface to
building Debian packages, so there's very little point in mentioning
that specifically.

Also, build/README contains this:
| Recipe:
|  - Install the build-dependencies on the host system
|    (run dpkg-checkbuilddeps in the parent installer/ directory).
|  - Create your own sources.list.udeb.local, otherwise the build host's
|    sources.list is taken as a template for sources.list.udeb.
|  - Run "make" to get a list of available targets.
|  - Build an image using one of the build_ targets (build_netboot,
|    all_build, etc). You may want to set the USE_UDEBS_FROM variable,
|    documented below.
|  - Look in dest/ for the completed images.

and the documentation of USE_UDEBS_FROM points to debian/rules already.

Cheers,