Re: Fixing graphical installer

Hi,

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> Hey Holger,
>
> We've had that broken rendering in the graphical installer for a while,
> and based on last answers on the bug, it seems we're not getting a fix.
> I'm therefore considering moving forward to switching to a different
> font regardless (I initially wanted to compare before/after), hoping
> that other font wouldn't exhibit the same issues.

How can we know?
Without a before-after-comparison I'm unsure how we would judge on that...

To be honest, I had skipped that thing for me already for Bullseye,
because I thought we have no longer enough time to ask translators /
other l10n people for testing in all the different languages (considering
the timeframe for the freeze etc.).
That's why I did no longer tried to push that change.

BTW: the first discussion on this is at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2020/03/msg00299.html
and follow-ups.

> I think you prepared the changes in branches, or something? I'd
> appreciate a quick summary, so that I can test stuff locally, and
> possibly proceed to updating the reference images I'm using for semi
> autoamted tests.

Working with branches is still somewhat new to me, I am afraid
(or at least it was at that time).

I have instead uploaded my proposal to my people dir, see
https://people.debian.org/~holgerw/d-i/proposal-to-switch-g-i-to-fonts-noto/20200402/
(also some screenshots there).

For testing und updating your tree, you can just put that gtk-common file
from there into ../installer/build/pkg-lists/ and that's it on GIT :-)

Not sure, if we need additional packages on some debian machines though...

And what about build dependency declaration?
I am also unsure here, because in ../installer/debian/control there are nearly
no font packages declared...

> Thanks already!
>
> (Once we know what all that looks like, we'll try and get another alpha
> out the door.)

Hint:
please note, that the images built like described above are much bigger in
size, compared with the current ones.
That was already mentioned and discussed with Jonas Smedegaard, who has
proposed to trim the fonts-noto-hinted-udeb and fonts-noto-unhinted-udeb
packages, to deal with that.
So that would be another needed changing at the end...
(if we have it basically running)

So long
Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076