Re: Extracting documentation from Debian installer

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 10:00:01AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/10/2021 09:32 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 08:18:06AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > Debian's goal might be described as providing "the most power to a maximally
> > > diverse audience". My underlying problem is that it does that *TOO* well.
> > >
> > > I need two types of information that I doubt are documented anywhere except
> > > in the source code.
> > >
> > > I.  Text of error/cautionary messages.
> > >      Specifically, what is the _exact_ text of the message given when the
> > >      operator chooses to install neither Grub nor LILO.
> > > II. Content of menus presented to the operator.
> > >      Early in the installation a list of optional auxiliary programs is
> > >      presented. I don't recognize any of the names, but if I looked them
> > >      up I might find something very useful.
> >
> > Which image?
> >
> > Which machine architecture?
> >
> > Which intended boot method - Legacy/MBR or UEFI?
> >
> > The nature of the message will be "bootloader not found" but it depends
> > very much on WHICH boot loader you don't install.
> >
> > What sort of things in terms of optional auxiliary programs at which stage?
> > Bearing in mind that you can take screenshots from an installer in-a VM
> > have you tried this?
> >

> > > "If you like more flexibility or just want to know what's going on ..."
> > >       Section 4.3.3  of "Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide"
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Andy C - seeking info from you, as ever :)
>
> I've only used i386 and AMD64 installers.
> I asked to be directed to *SOURCE* code.

debian-installer/packages/grub-installer/debian is your starting point

The templates file inside there gives you your questions and answers

grub-installer.templates is the file you need, I think.

e.g.

Template: grub-installer/apt-install-failed
Type: error
# :sl2:
 The '${GRUB}' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB
 boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

Template: grub-installer/grub-install-failed
Type: error
# :sl2:
 Executing 'grub-install ${BOOTDEV}' failed.
 .
 This is a fatal error.

Template: grub-installer/update-grub-failed
Type: error
# :sl2:
 Executing 'update-grub' failed.
 .
 This is a fatal error.

as examples.

So those will return you to the menu, I think, at that point.

The installer is mostly built as cdebconf. The logs you need from an install
are under /var/log/installer

Hope this helps,

Andy C.