Re: debian-installer for mac

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 02:20:08PM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:
>
> > As mentioned on debian-user: the debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso or the
> > debian-11.1.0-amd-DVD-1.iso are the appropriate ones to use.
> >
> > The debian-mac images are for a couple of specific models from 2008/2009
> > which had problems recognising El Torito images.
> >

> Oh yeah!  I remember having to ask about this for a 2014 installation I
> did on a 2012 MBP.  Has it not been documented yet?
>
> Seems like the website and installation guide could benefit from bug
> reports requesting documentation of this fact.  I believe it's worth the
> effort, because recent macOS versions don't work well with older Apple
> hardware.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/ references
"What is a mac netinst image" and points back to Debian Wiki.

Issues referenced here: https://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel#Macmini_2.2C1

It is fairly well referenced: it just takes you to read from the top of
the page on the downloads page.

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple is also quite a good location
to work out what's what. [And I note the problematic machines are 2007/2008
so anyone who has one will be running on 13 year old hardware - we had a
similar discussion at https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2021/04/msg00008.html

Most of this will be up in the air with Mac machines based on the M1 chip
though given Apple demonstrated Debian as their first demo when the chips
were announced, the arm64 variant can certainly run as a virtual machine.

Hope this helps,

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater