Re: Bookworm Installer and Hibernate

Hello,

On 09/07/2023 at 13:18, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
I remember in the early Linux days the recommendation was
swap partition size = 2x RAM size, here

That was when computers did not have enough RAM.

https://wiki.debian.org/de/Hibernate

is says for hibernation, swap should be half the RAM size.

It may be unsufficient. IIUC a hibernation image is limited to half the RAM size, but extra data still need to be swapped out before creating the image, and the swap area may already contain swapped data.

For me it is easy to reinstall an create a bigger swap partition. I understand
from the page above another option might be to create a swap file

The described method uses uswsusp which was removed from Debian a long time ago. Using a swap file with the regular kernel hibernation is not convenient (you must pass the underlying device and file offset for resume). Not sure this is supported by Debian's initramfs config.