Re: Next attempt to add Blends to Debian installer

Hallo Holger,

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> (2024-05-09):
> Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:43:35 +0100):
> > could we just "copy tasksel with its UI and infrastructure" into a
> > new package (I name it 'blends-di-tasks' here), which has all the
> > blends listed, and add one entry to tasksel with a name like "Debian
> > Pure Blends" or similar?
> >
> > If one then selects "Debian Pure Blends" in the good all known
> > tasksel, the blends-di-tasks package would be installed on /target,
> > and later a new dialog would appear, listing all the blends, where
> > the user could select which one to install.  (If the "Debian Pure
> > Blends" entry stays unchecked, as would be the default value,
> > everything stays as is: the new dialog would not appear, no
> > difference to previous releases.)
> >
> > Would that be a possible solution for all involved parties?

That approach looks very fine to me, thanks.

> So, how to proceed now?
> To make progress, the new blendsel needs to get into the archive I guess,
> otherwise testing and providing test images will not work IMO.
>
> Would the installer-team be ok with taking blendsel under its umbrella,
> as tasksel is, to get it uploaded?

Looks good to me.

I totally understand how testing can be difficult until packages reach
the archive, feel free to “upload early, upload often”.

It looks like the 64-bit time_t transition is getting better (at least
from afar) but I don't have any immediate plans for a release at the
moment, so it's perfectly fine to have glitches/temporary regressions
following the introduction of this feature/new packages along the way.

Cheers,