SysVinit?

Is there an existing implentation of syvint for BSD? Has anyone modified the Debian version to work? I'm terribly unknowledgeable about such things, but it seems it would be possible to trick sysvinit into thinking it's talking to glibc. Couldn't someone just tweak the header files? That seems to be all that would be neccessary to get sysvinit to compile on BSD, although I don't know if that would make it work once it was compiled. The reason I ask is that this seems like one of the first steps to molding a BSD kernel into a Debian system. I haven't heard any mention or seen any evidence of work in the one download I was able to locate. Also, is there any place I could go to get some remedial instructions about running a chroot development environment? I'm not sure I completely grasp how you can make a discrete system this way. I had just planned on using a mininal install. I'd appreciate any advice I could get on these matters. I'm very interested in this project, and would like to contribute some work without reinventing the wheel.

  Sincerely,

  Josh Frick
  JSFrick@Bellatlantic.net