Re: ufsutils experiment (please comment/test)

Hi!

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 16:10:44 +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> Guillem Jover:
> > I'll look into updating to latest upstream preserving the current
> > support, hopefully in the coming days, been a bit busy lately, sorry!
>
> That's what you said in July! :-)

Indeed, and to be honest, one (but certainly not the only) of the
reasons I've been setting this aside, is because having to deal with
subversion is such a pain that, I've been finding other stuff to do.

I've now done a git-svn clone so that I can work with something saner,
and I'd put the repo in the project git space, so that others can use
it and do not need to do the initial conversion too, but I seem to have
lost the admin bit "recently", so I guess I'll put it somewhere else.

> But please take no offense. I'm sure you've been busy, and I think we
> need to be honest with ourselves here. Maintaining this port takes a lot
> of effort and the ufsutils "GNU/Linux patchset" is an extra burden that
> makes it lag behind in almost every release. So please understand that
> my aim is not to assign blame, but to find solutions.
>
> Given that pristine source from upstream is already buildable and
> usable, my solution would be to move GNU/Linux support aside
> until/unless someone cares enough about it to get the patchset in a
> mergeable state and submit it upstream. That's my solution but it's just
> a proposal, it doesn't have to be the one we apply.
>
> So what's the solution you have in mind? How do you see this problem
> being solved in the long term?

I've started patching the code against 9.2, there's some new stuff
broken on GNU/Linux, I guess I'll dedicate few days, and if it
snowballs too much, then I'll just restrict to kfreebsd-any for now.

Thanks,
Guillem