Re: Everyone please compile a static apt & dpkg ;-)

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > I need some help from registered Debian developers[*] to compile static
> > versions of apt and dpkg (potato/i386), to facilitate upgrades. The more
> > static versions, the better!
> > (Well, I just need them soon, so don't discuss first, Just Do It ;-)
>
> And the point of this exercise is .... ?

Upgrading from <=2.0 and/or with a CD set. Apt/dpkg as included in 2.1r4 can't
handle CD sets with dist-upgrade. Several people have reported static versions
work great. I already have compiled static versions myself, but ftpmaster
won't install those because they're not signed by a registered developer
(which I'm not yet...)

More info:  http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/potato/
esp. UPGRADING.txt (and various list archives)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer