Re: Everyone please compile a static apt & dpkg ;-)

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> > > And the point of this exercise is .... ?
> >
> > Upgrading from <=2.0 and/or with a CD set. Apt/dpkg as included in 2.1r4 can't
> > handle CD sets with dist-upgrade. Several people have reported static versions
> > work great. I already have compiled static versions myself, but ftpmaster
> > won't install those because they're not signed by a registered developer
> > (which I'm not yet...)
>
> Sure, I can understand why a static apt and/or dpkg may be necessary. I
> mean, we had them for slink and earlier releases as well; this is not a
> new problem or a new idea.
>
> What I don't understand is why you're advocating that many developers
> all go do the same thing, outside the structure of the debian project.
> Sounds like a waste of time.

;-)  This method has proven itself very effective to get people to work.

If I had just said "can anyone please..." then I wouldn't have gotten any
response at all because everybody thinks "someone else will do it". (I've got
some experience with that... People are unbelievably inventive in finding
excuses to be lazy ;-)

Of course, as soon as I get one version, I'll cancel the quest.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer