Re: Live file systems

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:49:34PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Scott Sexton & David Lewis wrote:
>
> > Hello Anne Bezemer,
> >
> > I found a February 22 2000 Debian list posting by you discussing "live"
> > file systems. I was wondering if you did any more research or work on
> > live file systems and could point me to some sites or discussions on
> > current work.
> >
> > Thanks for your time if you have a moment to reply,
> > Scott Sexton
>
> That topic hasn't been discussed for some time, and I'm not aware of any
> developments in that area.
>
> Anyway, I'm Cc:'ing the debian-cd list, maybe someone else has more info.

The sparc CD's use a live filesystem. The root.bin is extraced onto the
CD, and it boots directly from it (root=/dev/cdrom). The boot-floppies
take this into account and mount a ramdisk to /tmp, then eveything that
needs to be writable links or is written to /tmp.

Any arch that can support booting from a CDROM can use this. Just turn it
on in the rootdisk.sh script in boot-floppies, then follow the same lead
as in boot-sparc in debian-cd.

Ben