Rsync and incremental updates on top of Original CDs

Hi,

Hoping that this is not a faq (I could not find an rsync-faq, btw.),
I am looking for the answer to the following question:

Once one has the latest 2.2_rev2 Official CD's (let's say I bought
them), can rsync be used to incrementally update these w/o drastic
network traffic, once 2.2_revX or 2.3 or 3 ... etc become available ?

Well, actually I believe that in releases x.y with (x==2)^(y>2) or
(x>2) too many packages would have changed making this question quite
silly, but I would still appreciate a decisive expert opinion.

Many thanks in advance
-Arifi