Re: Bits from the CD team: plans for debian-cd v3.0

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 03:28:08AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>
>>  8. Running without a local mirror
>>
>>     A common complaint is that debian-cd basically requires a local
>>     mirror to be useful. This is not ideal for many end users, who may
>>     be trying to create small custom CDs and don't have the disk space
>>     for all the Debian packages needed. It should be feasible to make
>>     debian-cd work with remote mirrors, grabbing just the pieces it
>>     needs. This _may_ need custom work, or it may be possible to use
>>     one of several packages suggested to create a partial mirror. I'm
>>     actually leaning more towards custom code, perhaps even some
>>     tweaks to pipe the data into mkisofs as it is needed to save local
>>     disk.
>
>Given a list of package needed for the CD it is trivial to create a
>partial mirror using one of various methods. If that mirror is then
>used to hardlink or symlink the files into the CD dirs no space is
>wasted.
>
>To save more space you would have to pipe the files and live with the
>problem that you can't reread a file, e.g. to run apt-ftparchive or
>md5sum over it. You have to get each file as it comes and pipe it to
>all the things that need to read it at the same time. That might be
>quite complicated.

We're planning on avoiding most of that - all the packages and source
files have MD5 entries we can read. And apt-ftparchive is too slow, so
we're going to avoid it.

>What would be real great though would be to combine this with the
>realy realy fast jigdo file creation. If you don't create iso images
>you don't even need the debs. Just get the Packages/Sources files,
>create jidgo, done. Would that be possible? Creating isos without
>local mirror could then go this way and run jigdo to create images.

You're psychic - that's exactly what we've been thinking about. There
are some issues to think about in this scheme, for example the fact
that some files _have_ to be downloaded as they will go directly into
the template file as raw data. But it might be possible to generate
skeleton jigdo files in a few seconds per CD if we get this
right... :-)

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me