Re: PCIe flash device for cdimage.debian.org?

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 03:58:44PM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
>Hi,
>
> Thanks for your comment about PCIe flash device usage on https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/o87yji5j/
>
>> Anything that's compile intensive / something like cdimage.debian.org
>> that is serving large files and may be IO bound / the package search
>> engine for Debian since that takes a lot of memory and would be heavily used.
>
> You mean, building cdimage on cdimage.debian.org, or serving cdimage
> on that? If it can reduce much build time, it is worth to try, IMO.

Actually, that's a really good idea. CD builds are *very* IO-heavy and
involve lots of random-access and small reads and writes. SSD would be
a nice fit if we can get something large enough - we need to keep a
local mirror and the temporary build trees in a single
filesystem. Currently we're using ~900GB of a 2TB filesystem.

Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.