Re: "CD/DVD/Blue-Ray image building expected to take around 8 hours end to end"

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 09:54:27AM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
>Hi,
>
> @debian tweeted as https://twitter.com/debian/status/330678506121994240
> "#Debian #wheezy - CD/DVD/Blue-Ray image building expected to take around 8 hours end to end"
>
> How long does it take to create image on cdimage build server, and
> what takes so long time (8 hours)? Because it takes only 1 hour to
> create amd64 CD images on AMD64 server. I'm curious.

Hi Hideke,

Building a (potentially large) set of images for an individual
architecture takes ~30-40 minutes end-to-end; we currently build for
the following 15 arches:

 i386 source amd64 multi-arch powerpc armel armhf ia64 mips mipsel s390
 s390x sparc kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386

That's where the time goes. The sets we're building for each arch can
include up to 9 different types of image:

  netinst
  netinst with firmware
  normal full CD set (Gnome desktop)
  kde CD
  lxde CD
  xfce CD
  full DVD set
  full BD set
  full DL-BD set

They're currently all run in parallel as we build for one
architecture, getting a massive win from paralellism and caching on
pettersson (the CD build machine). I'm hoping we can add some SSDs
into pettersson next, to make the build process even faster.

Hope that helps :-)

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead