Re: Long-overdue slides and notes from the DC13 official Debian images BoF

Hi Charles,
On Oct 21, 2013 8:55 PM, "Charles Plessy" <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

> Le Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 06:01:31PM -0700, Jimmy Kaplowitz a écrit :
> >
> > I don't see the advantage of a two-part build process for cloud images,and
> > have even found it to be a pain to maintain in other, non-Debian contexts.
> > As I said, the diff transparency you want is already there.
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> I think that we should aim at images that are as generic as possible.  If it is
> impossible, we should at least document why.
>
> For instance, we could aim to have cloud-init installed by default provided
> that it runs only where appropriate.  Amazon images are booted by PV-GRUB, via
> a configuration file, /boot/grub/menu.lst, that is not used otherwise if
> booting the image with GRUB2, used for example when booting with VirtualBox..
> So if we can pass parameters to activate cloud-init via the PV-GRUB boot process, we
> can have it running on Amazon but not on a local VirtualBox.  If the same idea
> can be expanded to the other cloud and virtualisation platforms, this removes
> one of the needs for separate sets of images.
>
> Does that look doable ?

That's a neat trick but doesn't generalize. Google Compute Engine will boot in a similar way to VirtualBox once we launch the feature to use non-Debian kernels, but we too are moving toward cloud-init. Amazon EC2 doesn't work nicely with ISC DHCP, according to build-debian-cloud source code comments; Google Compute Engine is most tested with / recommends it. User accounts and networking are handled quite differently too. This is not a complete list of differences.

More generally, someone is going to need to test an image on every platform we want to say works well. Aside from a bit of build time and storage space, how many images we have is an implementation detail.

- Jimmy