Re: Buster AMI interface names

On Oct 17, 2019, at 5:53 PM, Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
> Can you explain why this causes problems for you? We want to keep device
> renaming enabled for consistency with standard Debian installations, and
> we aren't aware of specific problems with it that necessitate it being
> disabled.

Noah,

I have found when testing buster AMIs that the consistent device naming is unpredictable and different for different instance types.  This is generally tough for us to standardize configs with configuration management.  Yes, I am aware that I can dynamically look up the interface but it adds an extra layer of complexity that we have found unnecessary.  This post on the AWS forums describes similar frustration using an ubuntu image: https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=263125.

Stephen