ballot summary

Currently, votes are:
		#0	#1	#2	#3	#4

Raul		2nd			1st
Manoj		2nd	1st			3rd
Dale			1st	3rd	2nd
Ian
Guy
Klee

Ian, Guy and Klee have not voted.

Because Manoj and Dale have voted with a different first preference
from myself, I'm retracting my "chairman's vote".  At the moment, it's
not doing anything useful to resolve this matter quickly.  That means
that if no one else takes action by Sunday that Manoj's "forest of
symlinks" proposal wins.

Here's a summary of what these ballot issues represent:

Ballot items:
0	further discussion

	means we haven't decided anything yet

1	forest of symlinks

	means every package gets changed so that it exports both /usr/doc/
	and /usr/share/doc/.  Implies that we're approving debian policy
	3.0.x.x.  Implies that packages and users which would refer to
	/usr/share/doc/ can continue to refer to /usr/doc/.

2	leave things as they are

	means we don't worry about user issues or user scripts, etc.
	we just insist that every package which uses /usr/doc/ be
	fixed before the release of potato.  This implies that
	either (a) we introduce some dependency mechanism so that
	every package which exports /usr/share/doc requires that
	packages those packages which refer to /usr/doc be upgraded
	if someone does an apt-get install of a potato package on a
	slink system, or else it implies that we'll have some release
	notes with potato instructing people how to work around this
	problem.

3	revert fsstnd->fhs directory changes, with advice

	means that those packages which have been changed to provide
	fhs directories must be changed back to fsstnd, and means that
	the technical committee is going to spend some more time coming
	up with a clean way of migrating.

4	alternate amended revision

	means that those packages which have been changed to provide
	fhs directories must be changed to continue to support fsstnd
	only for the case of /usr/doc/.

--
Raul