Re: Report yourself to the BSA

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 12:57, Daniel Dent wrote:
> > > Just curious. I'm using 2.4.19 as well, due to several
> > > nasty bugs in .20.
> > Pray tell, say more about these .20 bugs...
> > .19 had bugs which made it unusable as an NFS server :(.
> How so? Did you try a userspace NFS server?
> Personally, I don't like the idea of running file server software in the
> kernel. Imagine putting Samba in the kernel... The horror, the horror...

While I may agree with you, I haven't had much luck with
non-kernel NFS.  It's been a little while since I tried it,
and I don't recall the exact problem, but it wasn't
reliable.

Kernel NFS under .19 works right after you boot but goes
downhill from there.  The load on the server goes up until
the machine becomes barely responsive, and it serves the
client very slowly.

Downgrading from .19 or upgrading to .20 solved the problem.

It serves a lab of 27 machines which mount /home and a few
others off of it, as well as another server.

--
Daniel Dent     |

If it ain't broke, tweak it!