Re: gksu, ktuss and other ways to get root

[Please do _only_ send the email to the ML, I read it.]

Rob Taylor wrote:

> Well, the real fd.o solution here is PackageKit. Its a bad thing to run
> things using graphical toolkits as root, as they're not going to have
> been audited for security. With PackageKit you use a small, auditable
> dbus service to do the task you need doing as root, and have the actual
> UI running in the users security domain.

The problem is that not everything/one uses dbus, and software would need to
be rewritten.
I strongly agree that running X11 apps as root is not good; but the point of
the discussion is how to correctly su to root in a cross-desktop-compatible
manner, not how perfect world is :).

> Thanks,
> Rob

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.