Re: ITP: debwrap

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 12:00:49AM +0900, tad@omoikane.co.jp wrote:

> Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> > IMO the idea of debwrap, not the source code, is an ugly hack.  Trying
> > to be too compatible always leads to an dirty hack.  Debwrap just
> > wraps the problematic packages; the better solution is to fix the
> > packages.
>
> Goal of debwrap is not universal solution for reducing interaction
> of each packge, but a help who want to collect limited set of
> package and to prepare his own administative setting for it.
>
> Debwrap does not encourage you to locally solve each package's
> intraction problem, but helps to reduce repeatedly required and
> non-generic answering. (ie, helps custermization of distribution)
>
> Comparing debwrap and debconf is somewhat nonesense.

Not really when that is also debconf's intended goal. Debwrap is a hack,
not matter how you word or code it. The fact is that the packages have no
idea that you are doing this, and thus it is impossible for you to write a
wrapper program that takes into account every possible detail that these
packages might present you with.

I will not say don't write this program, mainly because I have the opinion
that if someone wants to write it, by all means do so. However I do object
to it being put into the distribution since it will get users into the
habbit of using a program that is not a perfect solution. Then we will be
forced to provide compatabilities for it. Don't push a hack onto the
distribution.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '