Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 03:19:06AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

|The fact is that a "normal" user includes not just people who use staroffice
|to write office memos, but also programmers, network engineers, etc. The
|people I know use ifconfig on a nearly daily basis just to see what ip address
|they're on so they can test network code. This is typical, and attempting to
|decide in advance which programs will be run by "normal" users will find
|exceptions everywhere. Saying these are exceptions is pointless, the real
|lesson is that this isn't a useful distinction to be drawing.

Hey! What's the problem? These users should be able to include any path in
their own configuration files. For users who don't know how to do do this,
it's better not to have /sbin and /usr/sbin in the path.

BTW, programmers, network engineers and such are not "normal users"... :)

--JS