Re: Translations of GPL

>But:  I wonder how we could cope with the following situation when
>Debian is so good translated in every essential part, that the knowledge
>of English language is not necessary to install it and work with it.
>(I've heard rumors, that there are people in the world which runs
>Computers without knowing any English word ;-).)  OK, this point will
>(unfortunately) not be reached in the near future, but I think it should
>be a long term aim.  But then we are in the situation that a potential
>user could use the system but does not know if he is allowed to do
>so because he doesn't understand the License.
>
>How to solve this trouble?
>
>Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

How about including an amateur translation of the GPL that would enable
non-english speakers to gain an understanding of the GPL but add a
statement that the translated document is not legally accurate and all
legal implications are taken from the english version of the GPL. Of
course the english (original) GPL would also have to be included in the
package. This should do as an intermediate solution until someone actually
sponsors a legally accurate translation of the GPL (if thats possible).

johno
IANAD[DM]