Re: RFD: new section ("secure"?)

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 10:51:20AM -0700, Bear Giles wrote:
> Inspired in part by the relaxation of US crypto export regulations,
> I would like to RFD discussion of a new Debian section, possibly
> called "secure."
[deletia]
>  - all packages listed above, or added to the "secure" section later,
>    will have "Provides:" and "Replaces:" fields to allow a secure
>    alternative to replace them without causing dependency problems
>    or arcane version information.  In this case, the secure package
>    should have a unique name, e.g., "cvs" becomes "kcvs", "lprng"
>    becomes "klprng."

would this also include more secure/paranoid base/commonly used packages?
removal of the non-essential suid bits on stuff like mount and chrooting bind
are some of the first things i do to machines although i do suppose these
minor tweaks could be handled as a low priority option in debconf.

also, i don't see anything about chroot jails in the FHS or the policy, do we
have anything on record about this?
--
nathan a ferch
nf@marginal.net