Potato kernel 2.2.13 - where is LP?

I have installed potato.  I downloaded the
kernel-source package for 2.2.13 (already reported the
problem with no dependancy on bunzip2) and tried to
compile a kernel with kpkg.  I didn't notice till
after  I installed my new kernel that I couldn't print
anymore.  Well I ran the make menuconfig again and
discovered I was NEVER asked for the LP driver!  I
tried make xconfig and discovered that the lp
selection  was grayed out, not available!  The default
kernel supplied with the root image disks (2.2.12 I
think) had an lp module.  I never got the chance to
build one with 2.2.13.  So I down graded to the 2.2.12
kernel-image package.  The LP module is back.  What is
going on here?????

thanks for any reply.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!