Re: Potato "testing"

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> > You're not supposed to log in to xdm as root.
> > Running all your X utilities
> > as root is asking for trouble - it's running a lot
> > of programs which
> > aren't traditionally security audited with
> > privileged access.
> >
> > Log in as your self, su, and then run
> >
> > HOME=/home/ken /path/to/apt-gnome
> >
> > or similar. (Similarly for any root-requiring X
> > program).

> Only 'problem' is that apt-gnome appears in a
> drop-down menu which is useless unless you are logged
> in as root. This makes apt-gnome a catch-22, it MUST
> be run as root, but it CAN'T be run as root. (from the
> drop down menus anyway.) Same for ANY system wide
> configuration utility run under X.  How does redhat,
> caldera, and corel deal with this?

Yes, you're right.

I don't know how the other dists deal with it.  The 'correct' solution is
actually that no X program should run as root.  Instead, it should have
some way of temporarily gaining exactly the privileges it needs.

That's pie-in-the-sky, though.  We don't have it.

It is probably possible to cobble together a solution using sudo or a
similar tool...

Jules