Re: Potato "testing"

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> It's even worse than that.  If I su (in an xterm) and
> then try to run gnome-apt I get an error, root isn't
> allowed access to the display.  So you CAN'T run
> gnome-apt UNLESS you are logged in as root under XDM
> or startx from a console when you are logged in as
> root.  IOW either xdm must allow root login, or don't
> install xdm if you want to use gnome-apt.

As my example showed, you must invoke X apps when su'ed as

HOME=/home/ken xappname

So it can find the Xauthority.

(There are other, more advanced, ways of passing xauth tokens around.
When you have some spare time someday, type 'man xauth' and marvel at how
much more complicated X is than most people realise).

Another approach is to use ssh root@localhost as an alternative to su, if
you have X forwarding enabled in ssh/.  This is kind of sucky, and CPU
intensive, but fun (and generalises to non-root users, which the HOME
method doesn't).

Jules