Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 02:01:26PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Let's not get offensive, please, Craig. Joseph is very definitely not
> responsible for QPL issues.

i wasn't trying to be offensive, i was trying to discourage Joseph from
getting involved again and making another mess.

Joseph likes to (or used to) claim credit for all the "good work" he'd
done on the QPL license. He has boasted several times that he's the
author of the QPL. he can take some of the blame for it too.

but the real reason why i think he is responsible is that the whole time
he was working on the QPL, he not only demonstrated (in his emails) a
profound lack of understanding of the issues, he was busy slagging off
the GPL and constantly complaining and bitching about it. with that sort
of attitude towards the GPL, is it any wonder why the QPL ended up being
incompatible?

the fact is that Joseph bit off a hell of a lot more than he could chew
and was at least partially responsible for the resultant mess.

> The last time I heard, the way the KDE application developers were
> going to resolve this issue was to dual-license their applications,
> under the GPL and either the LGPL or the QPL, either of which is
> QPL-compatible.

there has been some (small) amount of talk on this subject, but no
action whatsoever.  AFAICT, the KDE developers do NOT want to know...it
seems they think if they ignore it, it will just go away.

craig

--
craig sanders