Re: Java policy (was Re: tasks)

On Thursday 20 January 2000, at 19 h 25, the keyboard of Stefan Gybas
<stefan@gybas.com> wrote:

> > This is covered in the Java policy. According to the Java policy, many
> > packages can't run with Kaffe.
>
> Well, this policy is a little bit outdated (from Juli 1999 IIRC)

There is no expiration date. Many Debian sacred texts are much older.

> - Kaffe
> 1.0.5 was not available at this time at many Java programs now run with
> Kaffe 1.0.5 that didn't run with 1.0.4.

Two warnings:

- the note about Kaffe is just a note in the Policy, as an example. The real
principle is: to be in "main", your program must run without non-free
software. This is just a reminder because it is already in the Debian policy
and is not Java-specific. The only Java-specific thing is that you have to
ensure that, IN PRACTICE, your classes run with a free Java Virtual Machine.
If it doesn't, whatever the Java policy says, the program must move to contrib.

- if a legal Java program does not run with kaffe, report the bug. See #51263
for an example.

> And I personally don't like some
> things in this policy (e.g. the naming convention for Java packages) and
> it is not part of the official policy, so I'm not forced to follow it.

Please do not take this as legal problem. Use common sense and I agree with
David Starner's reply.

Also ask yourself why Java is not used more in Debian. One of the reasons is the lack of a common policy. There are less Java packages than C ones and they are much more different!