Re: To the bind maintainer

* Michael Stone said:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:42:53PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> > If there were any actual security gains then it might make sense to disable
> > useful features for the security gains. As it is it merely downgrades a
> > hypothetical attack from a root-obtaining-exploit to a remote exploit that
> > doesn't obtain root but is a DOS and obtains non-root access to the machine.
>
> Every little bit helps. I'd rather have users who can't figure out why
> their bind isn't working (in which case they probably shouldn't be
> running bind) than users getting hit by a trivial root exploit.
The discussion gets off the original topic, I'm afraid. Nobody objected that
bind should be run as its own user - the only objection I had in response to
the original mail was that bind shouldn't be started as non-root without the
administrators knowledge to that effect. Asking in the postinstall stage how
to run bind and modifying /etc/init.d/bind accordingly would be just fine.

> > If you want to improve security you should implement a kernel interface for
> > non-root users to be able to do what named does. Then propose this again.
>
> I'd love to see bind running chroot'ed also. But that requires more than
> a simple change to the init script; let's go one step at a time.
Yes, that's not quite that easy... I second that.

marek