Re: To the bind maintainer

* Bdale Garbee said:

[snip]
> 'debconf' has the potential to change my attitudes about all this.  It appears
> to provide the tools required to solve the problem of allowing configuration
> options during install without burdening future upgrades with confusing
> questions.  I thought briefly about trying to add debconf support to some of
> my packages for potato, but at the time I was considering it the rate of change
> in the debconf package was very high, and so I chose to defer this work until
> after potato.
How about slightly changing the construction of the startup scripts? If we
added a directory, say, /etc/options then any package that might require
options that differ from default, could look for a file in that directory
containing any options:

if [ -f /etc/options/${0##*/} ]; then
  . /etc/options/${0##*/}
fi

Now anyone could modify the relevant file in the /etc/options directory to
his taste without triggering the (truly) annoying question whether to
overwrite the user-modified script with its new version or not. The file in
/etc/options would have to set the OPTIONS variable and that's it. The
approach is generic enough to encompass all needs of that kind.

marek