Re: Blocked high ports

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, David Bristel wrote:

> Have you checked to make sure that inetd is running?  After an upgrade, be sure
> to reboot to make sure that library differences have taken effect, and to make
> sure the system is in sync.  I have found that in too many cases, things LOOK
> fine after an upgrade, but until that final reboot, it won't be fully cut-over
> to the new version.
>
> 							Dave Bristel

Hi Dave,

In both cases, I rebooted. The laptop usually gets rebooted twice a day,
once in the am to go to work and onec in the evening to come home. I
noticed it initially when I tried to run the napster client after
upgrading from RH6.1. It worked before, but gave me a "could not open
port" error. I didn't think much about it until this past weekend when I
installed debian on my desktop system after upgrading the hardware.
defiant is dns and dhcp server for my network, and when I tried to bring
that functionality back online, it worked from the machine and didn't from
the others on the local network (I made sure hosts.allow and hosts.deny
were configured) could not.

I have rebooted defiant after this problem, and still getting the same
errors.

--Brad