Re: display managers

Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hmm.  Like I said elsewhere, I'd rather not see task packages conflicting
> with each other if we can help it.  But I know next to nothing about
> tasksel at the moment.  I guess we need to get Randolph Chung or Joey Hess
> in on this conversation.  Guys?  :)

It's my opinion that task packages should not conflict. Tasks are all about
pre-selecting a set of packages for a novice and/or someone in a big hurry.
This means that they shouldn't have to pick what mail daemon or web server
or X login program they want. They merely indicate that they _do_ want some
of these things, and the tasks handle selecting a reasonable one for them.
They shouldn't run into situations where they select one task package and
another one gets unselected or there is a conflict.

I've said it before, but this is important: Tasks are probably _not_
something we developers will probably ever want to put on our own,
tightly-controlled and well-understood machines.

--
see shy jo