Re: mutt and ncurses

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 09:59:20PM +0000, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:
>
> >  >> Should I compile it with ncurses 5 for slink?
> >  >no: ncurses 5 is not available for slink.
> > Oops. I Actually was thinking potato.
> > Please advise...
>
> IIRC we discussed this some weeks ago.  I personally prefer ncurses
> (Thomas Roessler, the upstream maintainer, also does so), because this
> handles "default colors" much better than SLang (the latter one needs
> an environment variable to be set, to work correct).
>
> Someone (Wichert or Brandon?) suggested to use SLang, because this
> creates less traffic to the terminal.  I just tried this out myself
> using
>  mutt -R -f=mutt-dev > out
> and then pressing the following keys: Home Return n n n q q y
> This opens a folder, jumps to the first message, shows this message
> and the three following messages and quits mutt after this.  With this
> I created the following three out files:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 roland   wizard      13526 Jan 31 22:54 ncurses4
> -rw-r--r--    1 roland   wizard      13563 Jan 31 22:47 ncurses5
> -rw-r--r--    1 roland   wizard      12389 Jan 31 22:47 slang
>
> IMHO the difference is not too grave, so we can step over to ncurses5.
>
> But please change the muttrc to use "default" instead of "black" as
> the background color.

Does anyone know the reason we seems to move from ncurses to slang.
I'm the slang maintainer, but this was before I took it over.  I know
I used to have problem with colours with ncurses, which moving to
slang fixes, but perhaps that was with older ncurses.  There does seem
to be a lot of problems with colours and the current slang.

Jim

--
Jim Mintha                                       Email: jim@ic.uva.nl
System Administrator                              Work: +31 20 525-4919