Re: KDE: a plan how to solve that

On Wed, 02 Feb 2000, Raul Miller wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 03:07:09AM +0100, Fabrice Gautier wrote:
>> I think you could look at http://kde.tdyc.com/Debian, this is not far
>> from an official KDE site...  (and at least in the FAQ you could add
>> this URL as a good source for kde debian packages.. euh... debian kde
>> packages ... or whatever...)
>
>The site is a bit iffy, connection wise.  I had quite a few tcp stalls
>while downloading, one which seemed to last several minutes (though I
>didn't actually time it).
>
>Anyways, after poking at the downloaded files for a bit:
>
>kdebase has kvt in it -- kvt is a special case where the original code
>already had two licenses on it.  One would make it suitable for non-free,
>while the other was the GPL.

KVT can be easily removed from kdebase if there's any doubt about it.
Konsole is so much better that there's no need for kvt any more IMHO.

>kmultimedia has a couple GPLed programs which were converted to support
>Qt (and where there's inadequate permission in the copyright file):
>kmidi and kscd.
>
>kdegraphics has kdvi and kghostview.  Both of these are adaptions
>of pre-existing GPLed programs.  [This package also has a number of
>executables with no mention of the copyright in the copyright file
>(kfract, kiconedit, kpaint, ksnapshot, kview) -- I'm guessing that these
>all had X11 copyrights on them, but there's no claim made that it's ok
>to distribute these.]

Kdebase also has kdm which includes xdm source.  But the Debian packaging has
kdm in a seperate package.  This could be skipped if it's felt to be a
license issue.

--
Confucius wrote: To be fond of knowledge is better than simply acquiring
it, and to take delight in it is far better than simply being fond of it.