Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 03:35:25PM +0100, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > In my experience I get asked if I want to install a boot loader in the
> > MBR when installing debian; it doesn't get done automatically.
>
> I wouldn't have expected the mbr to be able to boot from floppy. I mean
> what's the point?

Some modern BIOS's are "broken" - you can chose to boot from
the CDROM and then the hard drive, or the floppy and then the
hard drive, but not the CDROM then the floppy then the hard
drive or the floppy then the CDROM then the hard drive.
So if you want to retain the capability to boot from
the floppy, the CDROM and the hard drive without messing
with the BIOS, you need something like this.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
If you wish to strive for peace of soul then believe;