Re: Securing a Debian machine

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 04:50:48PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 12:11:29PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > I propose we do the following:
> >  - leave mbr as it currently stands. Most users are worried about
>
> Why would we do that? I have yet to see anyone justify why mbr is good
> for a default install (rather than as an optional package.) Even leaving
> the security issue alone, the 2FA: prompt is confusing for people who
> hit shift in hopes of seeing a lilo: prompt.

Someone claimed that the current default was useful in some cases.
If this is not the case, then it should be changed.

Please debate the mbr issue in the other thread. A document to
help people secure a Debian machine has merit no matter what is
decided with respect to mbr.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org