Re: groups

On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think there is no real tool for adding and removing users from a group
> yet, is there? I think usermod isn't that comfortable.

> I am currently writing for a deluser to make a pair with adduser. Is there
> interest that something like is is included in adduser, e.g.? I asked the
> maintainer of adduser about this, but he didn't answer... :-(
>
> Greetings, Roland

Deleting a user is very site specific.

Consider:
 searching the entire filesystem looking for files owned by the user.
 processes currently running owned by the user
 removing cron and at jobs
 config files for other programs which reference the user.
 anything else

userdel will remove a user and the homedir, and that may be good
enough for most.  But I think sysadmins who want more control probably
wouldn't trust something they didn't create themselves to do something
that could affect so much.