Re: Debdiff project announcement.

ressu@uusikaupunki.fi (ressu@uusikaupunki.fi) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 02:43:29PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > wouldn't it be easier to create an rsync method for apt?
> >
> i beleave that the package was ment for big packages, to ease the downloading.
> rsync would reduce the stress on mirrors, but not on users with slow links..

rsync uses a uniq protocol for sending only the uniqness of the file over
the link. you can read more about how it does this at
http://rsync.samba.org/rsync/tech_report/. this requires slightly more cpu
work on the server end, but the required bandwidth would be reduced for all
parties involved. installing a new package wouldn't be any faster, but
upgrading would be instantaneous.

i'm not sure if you can have different file names on each side of the link,
but it would be simple enough to:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
cp ../hello_1.0-1.deb hello_1.1-1.deb
rsync rsync://rsync.us.debian.org/path/hello_1.1-1.deb

the apt method could probably be built as a wrapper in perl, tho i havn't
found any documentation on the communcation between apt-get and its methods.

InfoWorld recently (along with many misquotes) pointed out that Debian
(which is controlled by Corel) has put a lot of work into online updates. i
havn't read the entire issue yet (which does have a scetch of linus on the
cover), but they may have been more clear about our Open Source aspirations.
i have not yet written them to point out the falsity of that first
statement. but the power of apt-get is exactly the reason why i have
installed debian on a dozen machines since the first of the year. having
slightly-more-than-zero download times for upgrades would surely put us over
the edge as easiest to manage distribution.

that's just my $.02.