Re: Developement of a new postcript converter.

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 07:34:39AM -0600, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> > Please write to HP asking for the specs. Surely someone would want to write
> > the code. I would do it if I had such a printer.
> There is allready a driver for the 880C out there, however the license is
> incompatible with the gs-aladdin license and thus can not be included in the
> debian package, AFAIK.
> http://www.proaxis.com/~mgelhaus/linux/software/hp880c/hp880c.html

The problem with this driver is that it clashes with the hp800 driver. I have
to look into making all those drivers compliant - when I get the time ;)

> I have an 880C and I built a debian package with this driver for my own use,
> its working neat, I might dig out the deb and give it to you, if thats not
> illegal...
> I might also let Torsten put his hands on the printer for a short time, but
> he is busy with his studies ;-)

Yes!! Give me that printer! ;) Actually I would better like the specs. The
printer will then only be needed for testing.

> Another problem with this driver is, its not so easy to add it to the
> existing debian package, since some magical patching is performed during the
> build process. So it seems not to be possible (without major work?) to
> prepare the gs package to include this driver. It has to be done in a way to
> allow several drivers to be built and you just select by a switch in the
> rules which one is used. At least thats how I understood the debian package.

The current gs package is a bit reworked - all patches are modularized and
debian/rules has been cleanup. Sadly I did not get to gs-aladdin before the
freeze and I don't want to redo debian/rules in freeze possibly breaking the
package completely.

cu
    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member