Re: Debdiff project announcement.

paul (paul@cvanet.com) wrote:

> > >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!
> > >     I really, really hope that that the above underscored is one of
> > > the many misquotes.  Someone needs to send them a polite letter if
> > > they actually blankly said that.
> > >     Actually, if what you wrote is true, someone probably needs to
> > > send them a letter explaining things anyway.  If anything, Debian is
> > > closer to controlling Corel's distribution than the other way around.
> >
> > Please dump us (=press@debian.org) a proper URL and we'll try to
> > resolve this.
> >
> I don't believe that this is the same one, but it's just as bad or worse:
>
> 		http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/01/31/000131hnnewsbriefs.xml

yep, that's exactly it. anyone else subscribe to the printed version? in
that format, this was on one of the first non-advertisement pages.

> the article here contains the following:

[snip]

> Someone at Corel is distributing bad info, probably with the intent to
> make Corel seem like a real Linux company.  We need to not only
> investigate the source of this disinformation, but begin our own media
> campaign to set the record straight.  An appology to Debian from Corel
> will NOT inform the public of the truth.  IMHO, it is time for Debian
> developers and users to write articles about the disinformation spread in

and what chanel would you say we should write these? i'm ready put some
words down right now.

> Infoworld and other news organs.  There may be no way of knowing if these
> are intentional propagandi or simple mistakes.  It does not matter, as the
> damage is the same.

i agree. i should point out that infoworld doesn't even come close to what i
would call a reliable information source. don't let the "Founded 1979" or
whatever fool you. it is a collection of adds held together by propaganda.
the problem is that a lot of IT folks read it, and their oppinion has a lot
to do with where linux ends up in the real world. the entire issue this week
was a "Yay! Corel!" smear. it does however paint linux as being very close
to desktop ready, albiet with KDE. <antiflame> note that i havn't installed
kde yet so i can't say if _that_ is propaganda or kde really is the next big
thing </antiflame>

shall i recomend we form debian-media-presence?

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jpk@cape.com jake@{megabite,underworld}.net
(megabite systems)     "think free speech, not free beer." (gnu foundataion)