Re: Packages removed from frozen

> >>"Antti-Juhani" == Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> writes:
>
>  Antti-Juhani> If a circular build-time dependency (which I assume
>  Antti-Juhani> this problem is) is a "cannot build from source" type
>  Antti-Juhani> of a bug, then gcc should be removed from potato.  And
>  Antti-Juhani> a lot of other packages.
>
>         Common sense dictates that packages which are in build
>  essentials may need to be excempt. Gcc definitely qualifies; but the
>  others may not be.

I think that removing packages for this would be ludicrous.  I can
think of two packages which presently cannot be built without
themselves which I would be extremely upset if they were removed from
Debian; cmucl, and bigloo (although bigloo upstream tarball is
dispensed as scheme compiled into C which can be built itself, you
cannot modify bigloo source itself and compile it without bigloo).
I'm sure there are quite a few others compilers for various languages
that are in the same position.  CMUCL will never build in anything but
itself unless given a major overhaul upstream like William Newman did,
producing SBCL.

Luckily, I'm pretty damn sure noone would seriously propose these
packages be removed (bigloo will be removed for other reasons
possibly).  I think Debian has plenty of other issues to worry about,
and I don't wanna have this one suck up my time.

--
Craig Brozefsky                      <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software  http://www.red-bean.com/~craig