Re: Copyproblem on some fonts I intend to package

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 04:03:44PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> joey@paper:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi>zcat courB10.pcf.gz | strings
> |grep -i copy
> COPYRIGHT
> Copyright (c) 1984, 1987 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1988, 1991 Digital Equipment Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Of course, this leads me to wonder if we have a copyright problem with some
> of the fonts, since many of them seem to have an "All Rights Reserved"
> license, which is 100% non-free. Branden?

The bdftopcf command strips comments from BDF files.  Comments like the
following, in courB10.bsf:

COMMENT $XConsortium: courB10.bdf,v 1.6 95/01/26 17:52:05 gildea Exp $
COMMENT
COMMENT +
COMMENT  Copyright 1984-1989, 1994 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
COMMENT  Copyright 1988, 1994 Digital Equipment Corporation.
COMMENT
COMMENT  Adobe is a trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated which may be
COMMENT  registered in certain jurisdictions.
COMMENT  Permission to use these trademarks is hereby granted only in
COMMENT  association with the images described in this file.
COMMENT
COMMENT  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
COMMENT  and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
COMMENT  granted, provided that the above copyright notices appear in all
COMMENT  copies and that both those copyright notices and this permission
COMMENT  notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the names of
COMMENT  Adobe Systems and Digital Equipment Corporation not be used in
COMMENT  advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software
COMMENT  without specific, written prior permission.  Adobe Systems and
COMMENT  Digital Equipment Corporation make no representations about the
COMMENT  suitability of this software for any purpose.  It is provided "as
COMMENT  is" without express or implied warranty.
COMMENT -

Don't worry, I went over the X fonts with my paranoid fine-toothed comb
quite some time ago.  I can't vouch for fonts I don't package, though.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |         Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux               |         Biology is really chemistry.