Managing changelogs with different versions in frozen and unstable ?

Just a simple question, how is this handled usually:

There are different upstream versions of masqmail in frozen (0.0.8-2) and
unstable (0.0.9-1). 0.0.9-1 was derived from 0.0.8-2. Now if I need to fix
an important bug in frozen and release this as 0.0.8-3, do you alway insert
the according changelog.Debian entry in the next unstable release (0.0.9-1)?

I guess I should finally use CVS to make these problems more transparent,
not ? ;-)

    Gregor