Re: Another predefined group in /etc/group: ups?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 09:14:33PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> Luca Filipozzi <lfilipoz@emyr.net> and his sponsor Remi Lefebvre
> (remi@debian.org) are working on packaging the nut. I hope it will be
> available as soon as possible.

I have finished packaging nut. Remi will be reviewing it shortly and it should
be uploaded within a couple of days.

> Luca is not in favor of additional group. He wants to use the already existent
> daemon group.
In fact, it's running as nobody/nogroup. Only one program, upsmon, needs to run
as root so that it can call "shutdown".

nut implements a client/server architecture that allows one computer to act
as a server to other computers connected to the same UPS. This allows one
UPS to be shared between computers without the need to purchase serial port
sharing hardware. Obviously, the hub or switch to which all these computers
are connected requires to be powered by the UPS, too.

So, the "server" must run three processes:
1) a UPS specific daemon: like apcsmart for APC SmartUPS and BackUPS Pro
2) the UPS server daemon: upsd
3) the UPS client daemon: upsmon -- this is what shuts down the box and
                                    it communicates to upsd on localhost

A "client" must run only one process:
1) the UPS client daemon: upsmon -- communicates to upsd on "server"

Of the three types of processes, only "upsmon" needs to run as root. All the
others run as nobody/nogroup.

Luca Filipozzi