Re: Does dpkg-divert work on conf files?

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> > You are not supposed to divert conffiles, period.
>
> Right. Now that you have said I can say that it does indeed work and
> can be useful if you have local packages that customize the system.
> However it's a dangerous thing to do.

Hmm, maybe I should have stated my problem from the beginning. I
didn't quite mean for it to run out like this.

Several packages have files that goes into
/etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} to do various setups. I have
anacron and so these scripts get run everytime I turn my computer
on. These scripts do thing like rotate logs daily. I don't
want the logs rotated daily, but weekly or even possibly
monthly. So, most of the files in cron.daily end up in
cron.weekly here.

Now, when I upgrade my machine, I *do* want to receive updates
to these files, but I want them to go to the new locations.
Hence dpkg-divert.

If this is dangerous, how? and do you have a better idea?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com>

Trust the computer industry to shorten "Year 2000" to Y2K.
It was this kind of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.