Re: gdb in potatoe does not seem to support Ada

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 07:40:18PM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
> On 2000-03-07 17:24:47, David Starner wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 04:45:11PM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
>
> > > I woulnd't want to maintain n version of the same software either.
> >
> > Then why not let somebody else? A Debian mainteriner offered to
> > upload gdb4.17 and the current gdb maintainer compained that
> > that was his job. (Never mind that m3gdb was already in the
> > archive in a similar situation.)
>
> I do not know what the core issue is, but if 4.17 was important to me
> I would debianize it (using the offcial version as model).  Then get
> back to work.

Or grab the Slink version, like I did. But that's true for any program -
the whole point of a distribution is that I can run apt-get install foo
instead of going to www.blargh.com/~blam/foo.html, downloading it,
making it work on my system and installing it. Many other packages
have multiple versions in the archives - gcc, inn, xemacs, emacs - because
people need different versions to do what they need to do.

In the case of GDB, the 12 MB (GDB) + 4 MB (GNAT) archives you have
to download would be very painful to someone on a modem.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with