Re: python-xml, or: the dangers of beta software (and of diversions)

"Juergen A. Erhard" <jae@ilk.de> writes:
> Just want to bring this to everyone's attention (and especially the
> people whose packages depend on python-xml):

Thanks for giving me a whole three or four hours to respond to the bug
report.

> Okay, so it's in the python-xml README.Debian.  And I know I should
> have read that... which I didn't.

Exactly.  The package description also says it has replacements for
the standard xmllib and sgmllib, and mentions that they apply to
existing applications even if they don't use the existing interfaces.

> But even if I had... the only thing it says is that those versions (of
> xmllib and sgmllib) are 5 times faster.  It does *not* say that they
> (at least xmllib) are very different from python-base's.

As far as I have been able to determine, they *weren't* different when
the package was created, and you are the first person to bring this to
my attention.

I would have greatly appreciated it if you would have given me a
chance to examine the situation before making a public issue of it.

--Rob

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB  <robt@debian.org>