Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 04:06:01PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > our biggest handicap is that we're always a year behind everyone else. being
> > a year behind is suicide in any industry. being a year behind in an industry
>
> Have you listened to yourself? Depends on what your aims are; if you want
> to be hip, cool, most popular etc then I guess 'new' is a higher
> priority than 'stable'. Otherwise, let's stick with the proven 2.2
> series.

aarrgghh. you are missing the point.

what i'm trying to get across here is that we aren't keeping up with what's
going on in the rest of the world. linux and other free software projects
are rapidly becoming something very good. in order to facilitate and
encourage this, we distribution coordinators need to pull not neccicarily
the latest but certianly the greatest free software together in a usefull,
functional way.

the issue at hand here is not the kernel. the issue is the release practice.
i think there should be an initiative to bring out stable releases more
often. if we don't, it will be just another excuse to use commercial
software. i don't think any of us want that. on the other hand, bringing out
any software package prematurly will also discourage use of free software.

i was really hoping the we could get past the knee-jerk reactionary comments
like "hell no, we won't put in an untested kernel" and get on with "here's
how we could make more stable releases".

i see no problem at all with waiting for 2.4.10 (or so) before shoving that
in the users lap. just so long as we do get it in before it too is obsolete.